Brake maintenance is important in helping ensure the safety of you and your passengers. There are a number of signs that indicate your brakes need attention and you want to give them the best attention there is. All brake repairs and brake shops are not the same and at Swedish Performance And Parts, we know stellar service doesn’t have to exclude cost-effective solutions.
If your brakes are making a squealing sound or you hear grinding when your car comes to a stop, these may be signs that you need brake service immediately. Consult a certified technician for a brake inspection any time you notice any irregularities in your car’s braking performance.
Signs That Your Vehicle Needs a Brake Repair
There are common brake problems with common, well-known signs, such as a shaky steering wheel or a squeaky sound and we’ve all been there and know that’s an indicator for checking your brakes. However, there are many other – probably less obvious – signs your brakes may be showing which you don’t want to ignore.
Get a brake service inspection if:
- The brake pedal seems to be spongy or presses farther to the floor than usual
- Your vehicle pulls to the right or left when you brake
- Unusual noises or vibrations occur during braking
- You have grinding, squeaking or squealing brakes
- Your steering wheel is shaking
- Your car is wobbling or pulsating when you drive at highway speeds
- It’s been over a year or 12,000 miles since the last time your brakes were inspected
- You’re near or past the number of miles your vehicle’s manufacturer recommends between brake fluid exchanges
- The brake warning light on your dashboard comes on and stays on
- Your vehicle requires longer distances to stop than it used to
- The brake pedal responds slowly
- The brake pedal requires excess pressure
Many brake pads today have a built-in metal component that creates a slight squeal. The squeal increases in volume over time to alert you of the need for service. If you begin to hear a loud squeal, make sure to bring your vehicle to your local Swedish Performance And Parts for a full, 23-point inspection.
Understanding Brake Parts & Brake Inspection
One thing you can do as a vehicle owner is better understand the different moving parts that make up your brake system. When you press your brake pedal the brake pads create friction; in turn, the brake rotor disperses heat throughout the vehicle to keep the brakes themselves from overheating. Both are essential to the proper functioning of your braking system. And both need proper inspection when servicing your brakes.
At Swedish Performance And Parts, we offer and recommend a full, 23-point inspection that includes a comprehensive vehicle check, from brake function, belts, hoses and filters to suspensions, struts and shocks, motor mounts and fuel filters. Our brake assessment, however, will include:
- Brake function – measurement of pads thickness
- Fluids – inspection of brake fluid levels and leaks
- Rotors / drums – determining if resurfacing or replacement is needed
- Wheel cylinders – check wheel cylinders for function
- Brake hardware – inspect hardware for wear and tear
- Brake hoses – problems with the hoses are common and need regular checking as they can wear out